Job Openings at our Member Organizations:
The Theatre School at DePaul University
Assistant/Associate Tenure-Track Faculty Position and Head of BFA Program in Stage
The Theatre School at DePaul University invites applications for a full-time tenure-track professor to serve as head of its renowned BFA Stage Management program. The Theatre School is an urban multicultural conservatory located in the heart of Chicago’s vibrant theatre community. The ideal candidate will be collegial, a leader, an accomplished professional, and an excellent teacher. Position begins September of 2017.
Candidates for consideration will possess the following qualifications:
- Teaching experience at the college level – at least 3 years;
- At least 5 years of professional stage management experience;
- MFA in Stage Management or professional equivalent;
- Evidence of a diverse stage management portfolio
- A proven interest in diversity and multicultural issues;
- Active professional involvement and strong track record within the industry;
- A commitment to continued work in the profession;
- Ability to inspire stage management students and colleagues;
- Experience in working with theatrical unions;
- Demonstrated history of collegiality and collaboration;
- Proficiency in current industry-related technologies;
Because the school seeks faculty members who bring a critical perspective to issues of diversity and multiculturalism, DePaul University offers equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income, or military status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local EEO laws. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- BFA Stage Management Program leadership;
- Teaching all levels of undergraduate stage management students, for a total of eight courses over the three quarters
- Advising students on academic progress
- Mentoring and advising on student production work
- Commitment to on-going evaluation of the stage management program;
- Commitment to world-class stage management training;
- Recruitment of new students;
- Internship coordination and supervision;
- Hiring and supervision of adjunct instructors;
- Fostering relationships with alumni, as well as national/local theatres to establish internships and other collaborative opportunities for students;
- Participate in school, university, and community service;
- Ongoing demonstration of professional activities;
- Stay current with accepted industry protocols and standards.
Application and deadlines: Please apply online as soon as possible at: http://facultyopportunities.depaul.edu/postings/1009 and include a cover letter (which includes a personal statement and teaching philosophy) and CV/resume. All applicants must apply online in order to be considered. Paper applications will not be accepted. Current samples of your work and three letters of recommendation will be requested at a later stage of the search process. For best consideration the application should be submitted by January 2, 2017.
The Theatre School at DePaul University
Assistant/Associate Tenure-Track Professor of Costume Design
The Theatre School at DePaul University in Chicago invites applications for a full-time tenure track Costume Design Faculty appointment in the BFA Design/ Tech Department, starting September 2017. The Costume Design program provides advanced training and design opportunities to undergraduates in a state of the art facility built in 2013. This position requires a high degree of pedagogical collaboration with the Head of Costume Technology, five other Design/ Tech faculty heads, and a professionally staffed costume shop. We seek candidates who are passionate about teaching in an urban multicultural theatre conservatory.
Candidates must hold a MFA, or professional equivalent and a minimum of three years of teaching experience at the university or college level. They have strong communication, design and rendering skills, as well as significant professional experience on a regional/national level with evidence of a diverse design portfolio. They are committed to collaboration and collegiality across disciplines. The Theatre School seeks faculty members who bring a critical perspective to issues of diversity and multiculturalism.
This position heads the BFA Costume Design Program and teaches a range of classes in, and associated with, costume design. A successful candidate will examine, evaluate, and develop the current curriculum to continue its alignment with professional practices and protocols and enhance the curriculum with their own diverse set of skills. They advise and mentor costume design students on production work, and advise students on academic progress. They recruit and interview prospective students and participate in service activities for the Theatre School and the University. Candidates must be committed to continuing professional work.
DePaul University offers equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local EEO laws. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Theatre School at DePaul University educates, trains, and inspires students of theatre in a conservatory setting that is rigorous, disciplined, culturally diverse, and that strives for the highest level of professional skill and artistry. Central to our mission is a commitment to diversity and equality in education. As an integral part of the training, The Theatre School produces public programs and performances of a wide repertoire of plays – classic, contemporary, and original – that challenge, entertain, and stimulate the imaginations of our artists and our audiences. We seek to enhance the intellectual and cultural life of our university, our city and the profession.
DePaul University is a thriving multi-faceted Catholic, Vincentian, and urban university with ten schools and colleges, five campuses, and enrollment of 23,000 students. The Theatre School, located on the university’s Lincoln Park campus, enrolls 350 students in 12 undergraduate and 3 graduate programs. Our faculty (28 full time and 74 part time) includes leading Chicago theatre artists across all disciplines. Faculty members are active participants in the thriving Chicago theatre community.
Deadlines: Please apply online as soon as possible at: http://facultyopportunities.depaul.edu/postings/1045. Include a cover letter with a personal statement and teaching philosophy, and a CV/resume. All applicants must apply online in order to be considered (paper applications will not be accepted). Letters of recommendation will be requested at a later stage. For best consideration, applications should be submitted by January 4, 2017.